Re: [TowerTalk] pulling guy lines tightly

To: towertalk@contesting.com, wc1m@msn.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] pulling guy lines tightly
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 09:24:43 EDT

In a message dated 9/13/2008 6:34:15 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  5. I also used a Loos tension gauge from Champion radio.  This tool is
indispensible for tensioning guys. A great feature is that it  can be snapped
onto the cable during tensioning rather than having to be  placed in line,
like you would have to do with a dynamometer. An in line  gauge is OK when
you're doing the initial tensioning, but isn't practical  after you install
the turnbuckles. A Loos gauge can be used at any time.  Loos gauges are
actually made for stainless steel wire rope used in  boating, so the
calibration of the dial isn't correct for EHS. I think  there's a conversion
chart in the manual, or maybe K7LXC publishes one. I  used a Dillon
Dynamometer in line with the first cable to calibrate my Loos  gauge. My
numbers were a little different than the manual or 'LXC's but not  too far
off.

    While the Loos Tension Gauge was designed for  sailboat rigging (7x19
stainless steel primarily), it's perfectly acceptable  for other wires
including
EHS. What happens is that as you put more tension on  any cable it becomes
more rod-like. At that point the Loos doesn't care what  the particular
material
is, it just measures the tension of the stiff  wire.

    I put several different 3/16" guy materials  (e.g. EHS, galvanized and
Phillystran) in series and measured 400# with a  Dillon Tensionometer. At this
point they are all at 400#. The Loos measured  within a couple of percent of
the Dillon reading on each of the  aforementioned guy material. It's measured
directly with the chart on the Loos  and there is no need for any conversion.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
Champion Radio Products
_www.championradio.com_ (http://www.championradio.com)