Re: [TowerTalk] Tram Pulley

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tram Pulley
From: "Scott Honaker" <scotthon@pilchuckvet.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 18:12:35 -0700
Most hardware store pulleys are crap.  They're heavy, made of cheap metal
with poor load ratings. They're just a metal wheel in a housing with lots of
slop and a bad axle.  The slop allows the line to pinch between the wheel
and the housing if it isn't just the right size.  The metal is never really
designed to be left outside for an extended period.

I have a couple beautiful Harken blocks (pulleys) designed for sailboat
rigging.  They have HUGE load ratings for their size, have no slop and spin
with almost no friction.  They are also designed for constant exposure to a
corrosive environment.

They don't give them away but they weren't outrageous.  If you calculate
cost/load rating, they were significantly LESS money and you get a better
device.

Scott N7SS