[TowerTalk] Radials Layed On/Under Uneven Grade

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Radials Layed On/Under Uneven Grade
From: "Larry & Karen" <k0is@iowatelecom.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 19:00:38 -0500
I'm considering a Butternut HF2V with the additional 30 meter coil. My question
concerns where I would have to mount it. The antenna will be ground mounted
with a system of 30 thirty foot radials minimum. Problem is, this area is on a
hillside with about a 15-20 degree slope. I'm not concerned with  the radials
below the antenna on the slope, but what about those "above," situated so as to
be running uphill, closing the angle between the radiator and the radials
somewhat. Not having any type of software to model this on, I'm curious whether
this will be all that detrimental to the antenna's efficiency, angle of
radiation, etcl. I understand that the radials running "down" from the antenna
are actually somewhat of a plus (albeit mostly negligible), lowering the
radiation angle slightly and raising the impedance some. Will the effects
cancel each other, making the antenna "see" flat ground around it?

Larry  K0IS