Re: [TowerTalk] Source for Stainless Steel Thimbles

To: towertalk@contesting.com, n6ki73@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Source for Stainless Steel Thimbles
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 13:59:20 EDT

In a message dated 10/9/2008 9:03:10 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  I have a LM-470D tower that was restrung with Stainless  Steel cable ( 1
size
larger than what
the stock galvanized cable was )  but the guy did not replace the thimbles
and they are
pretty rusty and  am thinking I should replace them before putting tower back
into  operation

    Hmm. I've got a couple of concerns. First, what  did the manufacturer say
about replacing the cables with a larger size? I  guess that if the new size
fits the pulleys, it's probably not a fatal  problem.

    While SS cables would seem to be an upgrade to  the galvanized ones, they
do have a built-in problem in that they can gall and  create hard spots in
the cable. While good for sailboats and other non-moving  applications, the
galvanized version is the one for moving loads.

    Is Sandy Eggo (San Diego) that bad on crank-up  cables?

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH