Re: [TowerTalk] #10 Rebar vs 1.250 Cold Roll Steel...???

To: "Bill Winkis" <kc4pe@bellsouth.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] #10 Rebar vs 1.250 Cold Roll Steel...???
From: "Bob Maser" <bmaser@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 19:00:06 -0400
I am also homebrewing a new base for a LM354HD, which uses the same base as
the LM470.  I tried to buy a base from Tash Tower and they wanted $700 for
shipping charges plus the cost of the base!  Ridiculous, so I also tried to
buy rebar for the vertical struts.  I was told that the common rebar is not
suitable for welding...something about the temperature has to be too high
and would possibly make the weld joint brittle.  There is a weldable rebar
but it is not very common and very expensive.  I was informed that cold
rolled steel was the way to go.  I paid $80 for 3 six foot lengths of 1.25"
cold rolled steel and I had the ears that were salvaged off the original
base welded to them for $300.  I am still waiting for my welder buddy to
show up to weld on some rebar cross sections so I can remove it from my
horizontally oriented tower sitting on railroad ties.  He is tied up with
some high priority welding down at the port of Tampa so hopefully he will be
able to finish the job this month.

If I were you, I would locate a steel supply house in your area and buy the
vertical struts.  My price mentioned above should be a good guide to protest
you from getting screwed.  If you have any questions,  E Mail me and we can
talk off line.

Bob W6TR