Re: [TowerTalk] parallel tuning network

To: "'Len snyder'" <KD8CWP@arrl.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] parallel tuning network
From: "Rex Lint" <rex@lint.mv.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 11:00:13 -0400
Len,

An inverted L is a 1/4 wavelength antenna that, when fed from the end near
the ground, can be fed with coax WITHOUT a coil/capacitor combination.  The
center conductor goes to the antenna wire, the shield goes to a grounding
network of radials.

A coil/capacitor combination is needed when you feed a high-impedance
antenna like a half-wave fed at the end, or (and here's an example of)
something fed at the high-impedance end of an element like a bobtail
curtain: http://www.n8sfc.com/bobtail.gif. This shows a general diagram of
how the "tuner" is organized.  It's function is to transform the high
impedance of the antenna to the lower impedance of the coax.  In this case,
not much current flows at the high-impedance point (by definition), so a
super-duper ground is not as important as with an inverted L.

Good luck!

      -Rex-

        K1HI
      Rex Lint