Re: [TowerTalk] 160m inv. ell tuning network

To: towertalk@contesting.com, kd8cwp@arrl.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 160m inv. ell tuning network
From: jim Jarvis <jimjarvis@optonline.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 12:54:13 -0400
Lennie,

A visit to the ARRL handbook, and/or antenna handbook is in order.
As others have observed, depending on its length the inv. ell. should
have a low
base impedance, and not require a matching network.   A lot depends
on the
ground system, and surrounding objects, however.

It is NOT true that using a matching network will raise the base
impedance, and
minimize the need for a good ground.   nonsense.

I won't do your research for you... but you should read the handbook
section dealing
with matching networks, and their characteristics.

And, to reiterate what someone said...  wouldn't it be better to
define the problem, and
then produce the solution,  than to take Viking's solution for a tank
circuit, and look for
a problem to apply it to?    If you actually needed both an inductor
and a capacitor, the
odds of yours being the right value ... knowing how Murphy works...
is vanishingly small.

If you can make the Ell 133',  and you put out a reasonable array of
radials, you should be
in the range 35-60 ohms, somewhere in the band, and you can tweak it
from there.    As a hint,
it's best to make it a bit long, and simply fold back the excess, to
tune it where you want it.

> I am trying to build a parallel tuning network for a 160 Mtr.
> inverted L. I have a variable capacitor and a roller inductor which I
> wish to hook up to help tune the inv. l.  The cap and inductor are
> both made by the Johnson Co. The cap is model # 154-2-3 and the
> inductor is number # 229-201.
>
> My problem is that being electronically challenged and very new to
> ham radio, I don't know how to hook the items up to make them work
> properly. They are from a Johnson Viking set and I am hoping that I
> can make them work to tune the inv. L.
>
> I really don't know which end is which or where the different wires
> should be attached. I've done several searches on the net but have
> been unable to find any info that will tell me what I need to
> know.  Any information you can give me will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks, Lennnie. KD8CWP

N2EA
Jim Jarvis, MBA
President - Executive Coach
The Morse Group, LLC

People-Process-Strategy:  Achieving Results in a Changing World
www.themorsegroup.biz
coach@themorsegroup.biz
Read our latest newsletter.  Go to:  http://www.themorsegroup.net/
Newsletters.shtml