Re: [TowerTalk] Ham IV rotor - to service or not to service?

To: towertalk@contesting.com, gdslagel@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ham IV rotor - to service or not to service?
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 18:22:13 EDT

In a message dated 10/27/2008 12:59:52 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  I've got a used HAM IV rotor that just came off a tower  after about 10
years of service with no problems.? I'm going to put it back up  on a medium
sized tribander on a crank up tower.? I'm wonder if I should just  put it up or
should I send it in for a 'tune up' with a rotor service  company?? The thing
seems to be working fine but wondering if I'd have a  better chance of getting
another 10 years out of it if I had some routine  maintenance done on it?

        NEVER put a used rotator  back in service without having someone go
thru it. It's the weak link in the  antenna system chain and just about always
the first thing to go. I figure they  have 6-10 years of service in them.
Yeah, I know - your buddy used the same  one for 20 years. He was lucky.

        Even if all they do is  check it out and grease it, you're still
better off.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH