[TowerTalk] MA550

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] MA550
From: Ron Buswell <rnbuswell@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 12:02:12 -0700 (PDT)
Hi to all

I just obtained a used MA550 self supporting, crankup tower.  It's 10 years old
and never been used.  I'm thinking I should change the cable before putting it
up so I called US Tower to ask for cable replacement instructions.  However,
they refused citing liability issues.  They will however sell a replacement
cable for $213.00.

So I was wondering if anybody has replaced the cable on an MA550 tower.  I
heard there were instructions about 7 years ago from US Tower.  Does anyone
have a copy?  Could anyone provide a brief explanation how to replace the
cable?

Specific questions
1.  Did you get their replacement cable or just buy standard galvanized
aircraft cable?
2.  Do you have to take the tower fully apart?  If so, do you disassemble it by
extending it as far as it will go (horizontal on the ground) and then unbolt
the top caps and stops to allow it to come completely apart.  Or, do you take
it apart by sliding the inner sections out the bottom?
3.  Are there any tricks to be aware of when replacing the cable?

Thanks so much

73's
Ron/AF6KN