Re: [TowerTalk] SO-239 Problem

To: Paul Sturpe <sturpe@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] SO-239 Problem
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 03:41:21 -0400
Paul Sturpe wrote:
> BACKGROUND:  I have had several instances where a PL-259 loses contact with
> an SO-239.  I am told the problem occurs when a PL-259 is improperly
> prepared, leaving extra solder on the pin, thus making it oversized.
That may or may not be the problem.  There are PL-259s floating around
out there with under size center pins. It occasionally happens tot he
best of them.  Truth be told I've "over sized" more than one PL-259 in
the above fashion over the years, but never once had it cause a problem.
>  Once
> inserted into the SO-239 the center female connector expands.  Then when a
> properly prepared PL-259 is inserted into the same SO-239, the center pin
> connection is not snug enough to maintain proper contact because the SO-239
> center female contact never returns to its original size.

There's over size and then there's "over size".

> QUESTIONS:  Is there a way to repair a damaged SO-239 or once damaged, does
> it need to be replaced?  Are there SO-239s that are more tolerant to being
> oversized, i.e. certain brands?  Are there any simple ways to check for the
> proper size of the PL-259 before inserting it into an SO-239?
The easiest  method with plain old fashioned PL-259/SO-239s is to gently
insert the PL-259.  If you feel much resistance, _don't_push_
If you are talking the normal ham use on HF a snug fit that takes a
*little* force is fine, but if you have to "push" then it's not a good
fit. Normally a quick visual inspection will show excess solder beaded
on the pin.  Melt the solder on the pin and wipe with a dry cloth (while
wearing gloves) That should leave the center pin shiny and back to size
and all the skin still on your fingers.
>   Are there any
> tricks to make the mating of the PL-259 and SO-239 less susceptible to the
> phenomenon I am describing?

Visual inspection. If you don't see a solder blob it won't be over size
from too much solder.

73 and good luck,

Roger (K8RI)