Re: [TowerTalk] Question for MA-550 Owners (or any MA-series)

To: "'Larry Mohr'" <lmmohr4@comcast.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Question for MA-550 Owners (or any MA-series)
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 11:17:54 -0400
Yes. The factory told me to squirt some automotive grease in between the
ring and tube. This definitely helps rotation and protects the tube from
abrasion. Also, you can grease the lower thrust bearing. It has a grease
nipple.

Also make sure the tube is plumb. This is done by checking the tube and
adjusting the base bolts until the tube is plumb. The base vertical member
will not necessarily be plumb when the tube is plumb.

When the tower is setup correctly, you should be able to grab the drive
shaft with one hand and turn the tower.

The most important factor for a smoothly turning tower is to make sure the
short pipe section that connects the drive shaft to the rotor can swing
freely before you clamp it in the rotor jaws. This means you must not snug
the nut against the pipe. The pipe is supposed to act like a poor-man's
u-joint, compensating for the tube not being perfectly vertical and the lack
of a real upper bearing. The ring allows the tower to flop around in the
wind, so the pipe joint has to flex. That's why the bolt comes with an
aircraft nut, which will stay in place without being snugged.

73, Dick WC1M