Re: [TowerTalk] Thrust bearing re-grease

To: <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Thrust bearing re-grease
From: "Peter Voelpel" <>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2008 06:25:31 +0100

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of
Sent: Freitag, 31. Oktober 2008 13:47

In a message dated 10/30/2008 8:57:53 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, writes:

>  Could someone recommend what puller tool I would need to  beg,
> borrow,
or buy to pull a thrust bearing apart with to re-pack it with  grease?
I'm not that familiar with bearings or whether the tool used  for
automotive bearings that a mechanic might have would work or not.   I'm
talking about a thrust bearing that in all is maybe 6 inches  wide.
    Not enough information. What kind of thrust  bearing? Manufacturer?
Material - steel or aluminum? Is it a machine shop  pillow block bearing
(square mounting plate)? Did it come with a tower?
    If the bearing actually needs greasing, then  there will probably be a
zerk grease fitting on it. If there isn't, then it  probably doesn't need
greasing. Typical ham thrust bearings (e.g. Rohn  TB-3, Yaesu) are aluminum
and don't need grease.
Steve     K7LXC

5 Travel Deals!

TowerTalk mailing list

At least in Germany the GS065 and GS050 Yaesu bearings come filled with
grease and if one doesn´t regrease regularly they will be ruined pretty
soon, all balls rusted and the aluminum races worn.
I asked the dealers, the bearings come delivered as such, they don´t provide
the grease themselves.