[TowerTalk] Outdoor Coax Issue

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Outdoor Coax Issue
From: Bill Ogden <ogden@us.ibm.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2008 08:29:55 -0500
For what its worth: I think almost everyone who runs cables underground
eventually wishes they had used a conduit of some kind.  It seems there are
always control cables to be added, another feed line, etc, etc.  Also, many
of us painfully learn to use at least 3" conduit.  A single coax looks very
small in this size pipe, but it is certainly easier to feed new lines and
pull old lines.  Always leave a "messenger" cord in the conduit, with lots
of slack on one end.  Also, water will get into almost any simple conduit.
Always allow for this by tilting the conduit, putting a little stone under
it, leaving weep holes at appropriate places, a small dry well at the best
spot, etc. Allow some air circulation through it, but block the entrance
for small critters.

Being a little stupid, I needed to dig up my tower conduit twice to correct
these problems.

If you are absolutely certain you need only the one coax, just simply bury
the buryflex.  However, buy some sand and buffer the coax so that sharp
rocks will not damage it.  It should be good for many years.  (Carefully
inspect the coax first; there should be no pinholes or obviously bad
spots.)

Bill
W2WO