[TowerTalk] why grease ?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] why grease ?
From: "Skip K3CC" <k3cc@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2008 12:45:47 -0500
When I first was licensed I lived in Bethlehem, PA, a steel town.  I had a
60 ft tower on top of our warehouse with VHF/UHF antennas.  After the first
year I had rotor problems or so I thought.  I was the thrust bearing loaded
up with red and black dust from the steel company that had harden.
At first I thought about lubing the bearing but that would only attract more
dust.  So I added a CV (constant velocity) boot over top to prevent dust and
water from entering the bearing.
This worked and I never had problems again even after adding a tri band
yagi.  It also eliminated the problem with water freezing in the bearing.
My choice was out of necessity and was a fix for a problem.  This may have
been a very unique situation due to our location 2 blocks from the Open
Hearth,Blast furnaces and cinder plant.

de Skip  K3CC  ex K3ZTJ