Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 45G Self Supporting and bracketed

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 45G Self Supporting and bracketed
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 11:33:11 EST

In a message dated 11/4/2008 1:08:00 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,

> 10 Feet - 55 Sq Feet
> 20 Feet - 25 Sq Feet
> 30 Feet  - 9 Sq Feet
> 35 Feet - 4.7 sq Feet
>
> This is based on the  70 MPH Winds.
>
> To find this chart, go to
>  http://www.radiancorp.com/ROHNNET/rohnnet2004/html2004/index.html
>  Click on On Line Catalog (Bottom Left of the Menu Bar)
> GT Series (Top  Right)
> 25 G (Again, Top Right)
> Then Allowable Antenna  Areas

        I followed the above  instructions and couldn't find the Allowable
Antenna Areas anywhere. :-(

        OTOH I do have a Rohn  brochure entitled "Manufacturer's Technical
Information for Bracketed or Self  Supporting Towers". I don't know the date of
it so I don't know what rev of  the TIA-222 it's based on. This is what it
says for 70 MPH:

10 feet - 42.5 sq.ft.
20 feet - 22.0 sq.ft.
30 feet - 12.0 sq.ft.
35 feet - 8.7 sq.ft.
40 feet - 5.1 sq.ft.
45 feet - 2.3 sq.ft.

        I'm not sure how to  reconcile the different specs but if you're
going to err, err on the side of  being conservative engineering-wise.

        For the record there is  another base spec for a self-supporter that
is kind of hard to find too.

        For the guy who wanted to  go 45 or so feet above a housebracket with
45G @ 70 MPH, the same pamphlet  says

14 feet above the housebracket is 31.0 sq.ft.
24 feet above the housebracket is 13.8 sq.ft.
34 feet above the housebracket is 5.5 sq.ft.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH

Holiday needs. Search Now.