Re: [TowerTalk] CushCraft XM240

To: "John Elsik" <wa5zup@msn.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] CushCraft XM240
From: "Dan Hearn" <n5ar@air-pipe.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 09:23:22 -0800
If you are interested in baluns I have put some information on our club web
page. www.sdxa,org  click on DX Tips on the right hand side to see it. It
contains links to more detailed information. To make a long story short,
until recently all ferrite materials available to us were not very effective
in the lower hf range and made poor baluns there. A new material type 31 has
become available now and is much better. It does not appear that the antenna
manufacturers have incorporated this into their designs. DX engineering has.
I have measured one of their baluns and it is vastly superior to any other
available commercial balun I have measured. I measured 2400 ohms impedance
isolation from antenna terminal to coax outer shield. It is possible to buy
type 31 and build your own. You can get it from most large parts houses like
Mouser, Newark, etc.  I see that an ad in QST by Radio Works shows type 31
in snap on cores with 1/4 and 1/2 inch holes.
73, Dan, N5AR