Re: [TowerTalk] Guying a self-supporter

To: towertalk <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guying a self-supporter
From: Steve Maki <>
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2008 20:49:36 -0500
Roger (K8RI) wrote:

> Static load would increase on all legs. I'd expect to see the down wind
> leg loading increase to a point, depending on guy tension.

I want to understand exactly what you're saying here.

In a strong wind, would you expect there to be more total compression in
the downwind leg with guys attached? I would expect just the opposite...

In low winds, yes the static compression from the guys will add moderate
extra loading, but I would expect the curves to cross at some medium
wind speed. This is for a rigid tapered tower (which doesn't exist), but
I'm betting the results are similar in most reasonable real life scenarios.

Steve K8LX