Re: [TowerTalk] trylon 72 foot tower

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] trylon 72 foot tower
From: Richards <>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 09:38:32 -0500
I hear tell shunt feeding a tower is difficult and there may be
better ways to get on the bottom bands.

I would figure out how the Hy-Gain folks load up the Hi-Tower
AV-18HT - it is, I think, more like an end-loaded Inverted L than
actually shunt feeding the tower, but I suspect that is easier and
may work better anyway  (my guess, anyway)  -- I suppose you
could get their 160 meter add-on kit and just add it to your tower
or modify the design yourself to best work in your situation.

I suspect, also, you will need some ground radials in any case,
regardless of how you do it, as the tower becomes the antenna
element if you shunt feed the tower, itself.   I an quite sure the
160 meter add on kit is fed against ground radials, as the Hi-Tower
itself is, in any case.

Otherwise, I think I would make up an Inverted L and hang it
about three or more feet off the side of the tower, at least 45
feet up,  maybe 60 if you have a big tower, and run the horizontal
end as far as possible in the direction I wanted to prefer.  Again,
you will need to pay attention to the ground image (return path)
radial counterpoise thing.

Just MY take.   Gokod Luck !!

  best way to use the trylon tower for 160 and 80 meters. I was
thinking about shunt feeding the tower. Any ideas.