Re: [TowerTalk] wire antenna question

To: Blair S Balden <blair.balden@wmich.edu>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] wire antenna question
From: Terry Conboy <n6ry@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 16:01:35 -0800
Blair is right that a 40+j10 ohm load has an impedance magnitude is
41.23 ohms, but it has a vector angle of 14 degrees.  The SWR is only
the simple ratio of the impedances when the vector angle is 0
degrees, i.e. the impedance is purely resistive.

With normal RF transmission lines, you can never have a 1:1 SWR when
the load Z is reactive.  No kidding.

The formulas for the calculation when the load Z is reactive are a
pain due to the imaginary numbers involved.
This page explains it all: http://www.microwaves101.com/encyclopedia/vswr.cfm
(The good stuff is at the bottom.)

However, it's much simpler to use one of the programs like ARRL's TLW
by N6BV or this online calculator from W9CF:
http://fermi.la.asu.edu/w9cf/tran/

73, Terry N6RY