[TowerTalk] 20m Noise

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 20m Noise
From: "Todd Coulter" <coulter@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 21:44:23 -0500
I have been having a constant (24/7) noise level of S-4 on 20m. This
noise sounds like what I would describe as white noise. It is constant
at all times of day and no matter which direction I turn the beam. I do
not have this noise at all on 10m or 15m (I currently do not have
anything active for below 20m) which use the same triband beam.

I have cut all of the power to my house and the noise is still present.
I am presently using a W2DU current balun on the beam. I do not recall
any significant event that I would have thought could cause this type of
problem. Could this be caused by a faulty balun or other issue with the
antenna or is this type of noise just the norm for 20m?? I do not recall
this kind of noise always being present on 20m but I can not recall when
it started.

In between the radio and amplifier and between the amplifier and tuner
are RadioWorks T-4 line isolators. Also used is an Ameritron RCS-4
antenna switch and polyphaser protector.

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

                                                    73's
                                                   Todd
                                                   N4JRZ

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any files transmitted with it
are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they
are addressed and may contain confidential and privileged information
protected by law. If you received this e-mail in error, any review, use,
dissemination, distribution, or copying of the e-mail is strictly
prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and
delete all copies from your system.

11/16/2008 10:04 AM