Re: [TowerTalk] Max height of aluminum tubing mast?

To: Brian Machesney <nekvtster@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Max height of aluminum tubing mast?
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 08:48:51 -0700
The most important property for masts such as this is stiffness,
which is proportional to OD^4 - ID^4.  Thus, 3 inch irrigation
pipe with 0.050 wall, which has approximately the same aluminum
content, is much stiffer.  It is easy to make a 75 foot vertical
from irrigation pipe.

If you somehow manage to erect a vertical with the tubing you
mentioned, it might wiggle around a lot in the wind.  This
can result in a metal fatigue over time, resulting in failure.
I'm not sure you can put enough guying on it to keep it from
wiggling.

Rick N6RK