[TowerTalk] Fwd: Ladder Line Underground

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Ladder Line Underground
From: HansLG@aol.com
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 20:46:40 EST
The ladder line has an electric field surrounding it. If this field
penetrate some lossy dielectric next to the line(like soil) you will get
losses.  If
you do this in a big enough pipe, such as a 4" plastic pipe you have to  make
sure the ladder line is centered in the pipe. You could also use  (better) a
metal pipe of some good conductor such as copper or  aluminum. You still should
make sure the line is centered in the pipe. I think  (but am not absolute
sure) that you could put a ladder line with 1"  separation in a 4" pipe with
good
result. Just make absolutely sure no water  gets into the pipe (lossy).

I recommend you to, instead, use two baluns at each end  of a coax cable and
put that cable under the road. You may need  to put the coax in some sort of
pipe/conduit to make sure you still have a coax  "at the end of the season".

Hans N2JFS