Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical on a tower

To: "'Jim Miller WB5OXQ in Waco'" <wb5oxq@grandecom.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical on a tower
From: "Barry Merrill" <barry@mxg.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 10:36:43 -0600
In the eary 70's in Illinois, we put a HyGain Vertical,
the trapped vertical (maybe 18AVQ is the right number)
on a 125 foot microwave relay tower with dual
"flyswatters", those large 45 degree reflectors at the
top of the tower for the microwave that was transmitted
up from the ground. that gave us a ground plane at the
125 foot elevation; that antenna was BODACIOUS.

We were second as I recall in Field Day, and would have
been first but the beer ingestion interfered with our
ability to sort out the many callers in the massive pileups.

73

Barry, W5GN