[TowerTalk] Icom 775 Issue

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Icom 775 Issue
From: "John Santillo" <>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 23:25:06 -0500
Gentlemen I'm not sure if this is the right forum but maybe someone has some

I have a Icom IC-775DSP.  Over the Sweep Stakes weekend it blew up an hour into
the contest.  The cause of the failure was the same as the failure I had last
summer; one of the output power transistors blew when I change bands and hit
the tune button.

It appears when going from one band to another then hitting the tune button the
tuner is in a state causing excessive current to flow to the power FET's
causing failure.

I've heard of tuning for maximum smoke but two failures like this getting

If anyone knows of a mod to prevent this from happening again I'd appreciate