[TowerTalk] Was "43ft Vertical Feeding

Subject: [TowerTalk] Was "43ft Vertical Feeding
From: Dennis OConnor <>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 05:26:32 -0800 (PST)
Pete - right on!
I am dismayed by the lack of the old ham spirit that I see in todays
Pete pointed it out quite clearly...
12 relays @ $3 a pop - $36
Roll of quarter inch dia. soft copper tubing (home depot) - I dunno, maybe $50
2X4 Sheet of .060" aluminium - maybe $50 ( I buy a half dozen full sheets at a
time so I don't know price of small amounts)  Lots less if you harvest some
scrap aluminium from old freezers, etc.
Anyway, cobble up a test coil by winding some turns of #14 on a 2 - 3 inch pvc
pipe and get an old variable condenser and some jumpers, and use them to test
tune each band... Measure the inductance and capacitance you find for each
Wind a coil from the copper tubing to the found value(s)..
Make the condensers by cutting two plates from the aluminium sheet and spacing
them apart with little buttons of plastic - lexan from the hardware works good
- and adjusting the overlap of the plates for final tune... When tuned squirt a
dab of crazy glue on the buttons to lock the plates into position...
Repeat 5 more times and voila - 6 bands
Another $20 for a covered plastic storage bin to mount the parts and relays -
and for ~$150 you have a six band, switchable tuner, that will take ALL the
power your amp can make and then some....
And for lots less than $150 if you have some scrounging skills...

denny / k8do