Re: [TowerTalk] Climbing and working on Rohn 25g/45g towers -

To: "Richard Elizondo" <relizondo@ionoscom.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Climbing and working on Rohn 25g/45g towers -
From: "Bill Aycock" <baycock@hughes.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 13:55:09 -0600
Richard-
I  still consider that your post contains statements that are essentially
meaningless, because they relate to loads in terms  that do not directly
relate without more explanation and definition.

My career was as a Rocket motor designer, and , of necessity, included a
working knowledge of material properties and how they relate to applied
loads. My problem with your statements is that there is no meaning to the
phrase "shear strength" without knowing how the loads are applied. The
primary loads on a guyed tower are compressive and tensile; on an unguyed
tower, bending becomes more important. In a tower, the applied loads are
compression and tension, with shear being induced, not directly applied. The
resistance to shear in a complex structure is different for different parts
of the structure, and can not be determined if the point of force is not
given, with respect to the geometry.

When a climber hangs on a tower, the total load is his weight, but the
stresses are distributed differently if he is in line with a 'point' or a
'face'; to determine factor of safety, one must know where he is. This is a
fact.

At one point in your answer you claim that  you have just stated the facts.
To be a useful fact, the statements you made need more clarification.  Where
did the shear strength statement come from, and did it originally
come with a definition?

Bill-W4BSG