[TowerTalk] more on 43ft matching nets

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] more on 43ft matching nets
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 17:16:46 -0800 (GMT-08:00)
Ran some test numbers to sort of frame the discussion.. After all, we're not
really talking about a perfectly generalized matching situation, but with a 43
foot radiator, which is "special" (i.e. it's not a half wavelength, so the
feedpoint Z isn't way high).. Two different models for a 43 ft vertical give
feedpoint Z at 3.75 Mhz of 12.5-185j (perfect ground) or 50+156j (real
ground)..  (didn't model radials or anything.. just a stick in the ground)

Trying several types of matching network, and assumed 1500W through the network

For the first case, a low pass L of 1470pF and 8.77uH does it
9.2A, 375V on C, 10.28A, 3kV on the L

For the second case, a low pass L of 6.6uH and 493pF, or a low pass pi of 260
pF, 6.9uH, 500 pF does it.
for the L, 5.4A, 1200V on the L, 10.3A, 1250V on the C
for the pi, 1.7A, 390V on C, 5.6A, 1300V on L, 10.5A, 1300V on C

Those are all RMS, so peak voltages are 1.4 times higher (and good design
practice would be to use 2.5 or 3 times RMS voltage)
And, obviously, a real antenna will be different, with different values, but I
think it gives an idea of the voltage and current ratings required for the
components.

For comparison, a typical RF silver dipped mica (e.g. CDE CDV16 type at 500pF,
1000V) is rated at about 2.2A max current. Lest one think you could parallel a
pair of 250pF caps, the rating on the 250pF units is half: 1.2A (the cap is
physically smaller, and it's basically a thermal dissipation thing)

So, you'd have to series parallel a whole raft of these babies to get the kind
of ratings you need.  They're probably a $0.50 to $1 each, but you'd need a
fair number.

A more conventional ceramic doorknob type (e.g. a CDE 291/292 series) would be
500pF @ 6kV and rated at 6.8A at 3MHz.  But those cost about $30 each.

Building an L to take 5-10A and stand off a couple kV from end to end is
trivial. A half dozen or so turns of AWG12 enameled wire will do nicely. (and
if you look inside those autotuners, that's what they do)