Re: [TowerTalk] Quad questions, long(ish)

To: Martin Sole <msole@loxinfo.co.th>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Quad questions, long(ish)
From: Joe Giacobello <k2xx@swva.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2008 11:19:28 -0500
Martin, I can comment on your plan to use relays to short out the
inactive drivers.  It adds unnecessary complications.  I do agree that
it is essential to short the inactive driver elements, but that can be
done by using electrical quarter wavelengths of coax between the boom
mounted switch outputs and the the driver feedpoints.  If you leave the
switch end of the coax links open when they're inactive, the feed end
will be shorted for RF of that frequency.

I didn't follow this requirement on the first four element quad that I
built many years ago and it worked poorly and didn't conform to the
antenna models.  After getting advice from LB regarding the quarter
wavelength links, I have successfully built a couple of four element six
band quads and they have worked well and behaved pretty much as
predicted by EZNEC.

In fact, I measured the SWR and impedance characteristics of one of
those quads with the inactive bands opened vs shorted, and there were
substantial differences between the two conditions on most bands.  (The
antenna was very close to the ground for these measurements and mounted
on a 12 foot ladder.)

All that being said, you have a two element quad and the feed impedances
should be in the vicinity of 100-140 ohms.  Therefore, you'll need
quarter wave links of 72 ohm coax between the switch and the feedpoints
to match 50 ohms.  They should be left open at the switch end as
described above.

You can use the eight foot spacing for 10 and 12 meters, but you might
want to adjust the element lengths to optimize gain and impedance.

I would strongly suggest that you model the antenna before putting it
up.  The model would allow you to optimize gain, impedance and F/B.  The
models are quite reliable.  I'm sure that there must be someone on the
reflector who has already modeled this relatively common multi-band quad
arrangement.  If not, I'll be happy to do so.

I can't comment on the T200-2 cores etc., but I use commercially
available W2DU type baluns here and they appear to work fine.

73, Joe
K2XX

P.S. Please give my 73 to the folks at RAST.