Re: [TowerTalk] Climbing and working on Rohn 25g/45g towers -

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Climbing and working on Rohn 25g/45g towers -
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 16:41:14 -0500

Bill Aycock wrote:
> I have a real problem with this. I have asked for a description of the way a
> force is applied to the tower, and how the tower section is mounted, to show

Shear strength is perpendicular to the tower (or brace) and even if we
know how it was measured it doesn't give us a lot of information as a
load is seldom applied in a direct shear mode. (It would be if tied to a
horizontal brace.)  There is almost always some bending moment.  I think
it was mentioned earlier that shear is in the weakest direction. It also
has very little to do with normal antenna loading unless the antenna is
located right at a guy point, or as in the case of a TIC Ring.  Maximum
antenna wind load is a small fraction of the shear strength.

What scares me is watching some one climb one of the Aluminum towers
while bending the braces from their weight.

I wouldn't call it silly, but I agree, "shear strength" in most cases
tells us little in the practical sense.

73

Roger (K8RI)