Re: [TowerTalk] Chain Drive Question

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Chain Drive Question
From: "Don Moman VE6JY" <ve6jy.1@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 17:30:09 +0000
Unless you have special link breaker tool (such as this ebay item
260177532163) you'll need a small angle grinder (or do a lot of filing) and
a punch. A flat backing plate to hold against it while you drive the pin out
is useful.

Altho it may seem very loose, taking an entire link out makes a big
difference.  You should be armed with an assortment of full and half link
couplers to get to the length you need.  There is a special tool used to
pull the chain together while you reinsert the coupling pin, some of those
long needle nose pliers with the bent ends would be OK for smaller chain/not
under too much tension.

If you already have an idler sprocket in the drive, that is good. If you
don't, you really should see if you can add one. It will prolong the life of
the chain, reduce stretching and shock on the drive gear, all good things.

73 Don
VE6JY