Re: [TowerTalk] Concealed antenna issue

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Concealed antenna issue
From: Jim Hoge <knowkode@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 12:47:19 -0800 (PST)
Dave,

Before you go overboard with the aluminum, consider a (wire) cage vertical
supported by the tree. Just run multiple wires up the trunk, bonding them at
the base and at the top. As for an 1/8 wave vertical, don't rely solely on a
tuner but rather make it as near a resonant antenna as possible. Perhaps the
simplest method is to string it up the tree as high as possible and then let
the remainder slope back towards earth.... an inverted el. The current maximum
of the antenna is at the bottom anyway so it's a better method than center
resort as it has the greatest losses, translating to reduced efficiency. My
preferences are 1: full size, 2: top loaded, 3: center and top loaded, 4:
center loaded. I don't have anything that is loaded only at the base. Again,
try the cage vertical and see if additional wire don't help. it's still
stealthy.

gl,
Jim W5QM