[TowerTalk] Chain drive

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Chain drive
From: "Barry Fox" <foxbw@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 18:36:57 -0500
Most drive chains that I am familiar with have what's called a "master
link".
If you eyeball the links carefully, you should see one that has a clip on
one side.  If you slide the clip out (it is obvious which way is out), the
opposite side plate with the two pins should slide out.  You then have one
chain with two open ends.  You will need a chain breaker tool to remove the
rivets on the non-master link links.  When the chain is the length you want,
replace the master link and its clip.  Go to the following link (sorry for
the pun)

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/9/185/5400/ITEM/MSR-Racing-Z-Ring-Cha
in-Rivet-Master-Link.aspx?SiteID=CSE_GBase_185&WT.mc_ID=80003&zmam=88421133&
zmas=1&zmac=2&zmap=5400

Click on the image of the chain and box for an enlarged image.  The
master link consists of the group of little parts between the box and the
chain.
The clip I referred to is the left-most item, then the clip plate, some
O-rings,
then right-most is the opposite side plate with the pins.
Chains come in sizes, 520, 530, etc.  To be sure you get the right bits,
take
your chain to a motorcycle or chain saw shop.  They would probably be happy
to add/subtract the links for you.
I am another motorcycle rider who tired of constant chain tensioning,
stretching,
breaking, etc. which is why I changed to BMWs years ago ;>)

Let us know how you make out

73,
Barry - W1HFN