Re: [TowerTalk] 80m delta loop question

To: <felipe@dxwatch.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80m delta loop question
From: "Wilson A. Caselli" <wcaselli@webkorner.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 13:11:53 -0500
Felipe:.

450 Ohm Line is available from sources like "The Wireman" at:
http://www.thewireman.com/antennap.html

I suggest you obtain a 9:1 ratio Current Balun to obtain the 50 ohm match.
DX Engineering has a very good 9:1 Current Balun:
http://www.dxengineering.com/Parts.asp?ID=60&PLID=50&SecID=10&DeptID=40&PartNo=DXE%2DBAL450%2DH10%2DA

I would place this Balun outside of the shack then run coax to the radio.

Download the owners manual on the above Balun from:
http://www.dxengineering.com/pdf/DXE-BAL-Rev2.pdf

Other people have high-power current baluns available, but,
I personally prefer the ones from DX Engineering.

I hope the above answers your impedance transformation question.

Additionally: It would also be very prudent to include a lightening arrestor
on the 450 ohm line before the Balun.  A good balanced lightening arrestor
can be obtained from: Industrial Communications Engineers, Ltd.
http://www.iceradioproducts.com/impulse1.html#2
Model 309H is a nice high power version and the model 309 will handle
500 watts.

Good luck,

Wilson Caselli, K1MIJ