Re: [TowerTalk] Spacing between Antennas

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Spacing between Antennas
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 11:19:32 -0600
In addition to the tower loading issue (which seems to be suspect),
consider the torque issue.  Antennas of this size can produce a lot of
torque on a tower.  That may require some professional help to resolve,
because you won't be able to get any torque numbers for the tower out of
US Tower.  I tried to get that data once when I was considering putting
a MonstIR on a crank-up.   Although the tower, sq-ft wise, was rated to
handle it, I was afraid of the torque issue.   Take a look at what holds
a lattice type crank-up together in the torque direction.  It is just a
few little ears, and those bang against the main legs of the tower when
torque is applied.

Jerry, K4SAV