Re: [TowerTalk] Ham IV Progress

To: "TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ham IV Progress
From: jpk5lad@cox.net
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 11:40:04 -0600
Hi Larry --
Glad you had the good success with the Ham IV
rotator.  Glad, too, that the article on my website was
a help.

On the TR-44, it might have been rebuilt in a
previous life and the rebuilder remembered his
youthful days of making peanut butter sandwiches
and greased up the TR-44 with 'way too much
grease.  Some folks have the opinion that if a little
does OK, then more will even be "OKer"  It might not
have had that much grease in it at birth.

Now if you say you bought that TR-44 brand new,
then I can only imagine that the "greaser-upper"
person had too much grease on their fingers when
the coffee break whistle blew and they just needed
to get rid of the "blob" they already had on their
fingers.

Remember, too, on the TR-44, that it has a "gravity
brake" and the motor shaft needs to travel freely up
and down for that to work.

Good luck and 73,
Jim - K5LAD

On 15 Dec 2008 at 9:54, Larry Comden wrote:

> Thanks to all who replied to my query about tackling a balky Ham IV.
> One question remains - see below
>
> 0. Cleaned up the hardened grease and grime.
>
> 1. Took pictures during disassembly following K5LAD's instructions,
>
> 2. Replaced the balls,
>
> 3. Got proper grease (safe for the plastic ball retainers, -100F to
> 400F, etc). from a bearing distributor,
>
> 4. Found the limit switch problem: Not one of the internal wires to
> the limit switches was soldered!!!!!!!!!!. One can only wonder how
> this ever functioned from 1988 onward.
>
> 5. Reassembled and it works.
>
> Now for a question: How much grease is enough?  Greased the tracks and
> lightly greased the balls. Because this was a successful project I
> started to work on a TR44. There was so much grease inside the TR44 it
> made me wonder if I'd used enough in the HamIV rebuild.
>
> TIA & 73
>
> Larry K3VX

"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something
stupid to say and then don't say it." -- Sam Levenson
=====
My Web Page - http://www.hayseed.net/~jpk5lad