Re: [TowerTalk] balloon supported antenna

To: <ve4xt@mts.net>, "'Larry Banks'" <larryb.w1dyj@verizon.net>, <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] balloon supported antenna
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 17:44:42 -0500

> Run the bottom part of the 1/2-wavelength antenna away from
> the vertical for 30 feet or so and feed it
> at the corner as an OCF vertical...

Alternatively, a J-pole making the bottom 1/4 wave out of
"ladder line."  It's lighter than a coax fed vertical dipole,
the "feedline" does not need to come off at fight angles
and the bottom end of the dipole is 1/4 wave above ground
to minimize the ground losses.  The negative is the need to
fly the balloon at 400+ feet.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV