Re: [TowerTalk] lines into trees

To: "towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] lines into trees
From: Dennis Ashworth <k7fl@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 10:56:01 -0800
I wrote an article for "Hinks & Kinks" some years about using a
slingshot and fishing line/weights for launching lines into trees. It
may still be in the ARRL Handbook - it was for many years. There are
now several commercial products for this purpose on the market so I
won't repeat the details here. But I will add one thing. My
experience with shooting fishing sinkers is that the weight will
often loop over tree limbs. When this occurs your only recourse is to
break the line and try again. The problem is the line usually breaks
at some random point along the line often leaving unsightly
monofilament line dangling from the tree.To avoid this and retrieve
the line (and frequently the sinker) one should use a few feet of
lighter weight leader between the weight and the main line. This
ensures the line will break near the sinker ... almost without
exception the sinker will drop as will the main line.

I use 25# monofilament, 8-12# leader and 2 oz sinker.

Have fun - I've used a slingshot for many years with 100 foot fir
trees with excellent success.

Dennis, K7FL
Battle Ground, WA

==