Re: [TowerTalk] Knot tying

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Knot tying
From: "Jim Walker" <jim@walkersdomain.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 12:39:43 -0600
 I like the idea of securing the rope to the mast just above where the
thrust bearing or tower top will be with the mast inserted into the rotor.
This also prevents the rope from interfering with getting the mast through
the thrust bearing or tower top.  Then, tie half-hitches along the mast at
two-foot intervals  with the last one close to the top end of the mast.  You
will need to keep tension on the rope to keep the half-hitches from
loosening and collapsing down.

Most, if not all of the weight of the mast will be on the half-hitches
closest to the top of the mast with little pull being exerted on the free
end of the rope. The harder the pull, the tighter the half-hitches become.

Once the mast is in place, relaxing the rope from the top and providing lots
of slack rope, will allow the half-hitches to loosen, thus allowing the rope
to collapse and fall onto the knot where you secured the fee end of the rope
to the mast.  All of which can them be  easily removed.

Jim
KBØX