Re: [TowerTalk] Ameritron RCS-4 and noise?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ameritron RCS-4 and noise?
From: gpwidin@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 03:47:54 +0000
Jon,
I have one of those up on my tower, too.  It's been there about 6 years I
guess.  It's worked fine since I put it up, but only because I discovered its
problems when I had it in the shack.
To make a long story short, I found that the relays which looked to be well
soldered to the PC board, were in fact cold-soldered in a few places, enough to
cause noise, and what probably would have ended up as losses over time while on
the tower.

I diligently re-soldered all those connections with a hot-enough soldering gun,
and thereafter haven't seen a recurrence of this problem.  I can't tell whether
this could apply to you (don't know exactly what you mean by "replacing
components."), but it certainly was a problem for me.  There was nothing I
could (consistently) measure, nor really find by visual inspection, but the
problem was solved and stayed solved by this very simple measure.

Good luck.  We'll all be interested to see what the real cause turns out to be.
--
73 es HNY,
  Greg, K0GW