[TowerTalk] shorty 40 vs vertical

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] shorty 40 vs vertical
From: kr2q@optimum.net
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2009 15:08:09 +0000 (GMT)
In all the descriptions, we only read that the shorty 40 is at X feet.  What
else is on the
tower and more importantly, HOW CLOSE?  If there is "other stuff" on the tower,
have you
tried removing the other antennas in order to compare just the 40 to the
vertical(s)?

I too have a shorty forty at 80.  I'm a contester, so I was also interested in
the 4 square,
more for "speed of direction change" than anything else.  But covering "only" 4
corners of the
compass from NJ did not seem appealing, especially since the mandatory
directions are
(a) Europe - around 50 degrees from here and (b) SA - about due south from
here.  Not
good.  I also asked other contesters with shorty 40's and none of them were
willing to give up
the rotatable yagi on 40 for a 4 square.

YMMV

de Doug KR2Q