Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn TB4 Thrust bearing

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn TB4 Thrust bearing
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 16:59:34 -0500

Ed Stallman wrote:
> While doing tower work and after the mast was removed, I gave the
> Thrust Bearing a spin with my hand. The bearing will spin ok but not
> smooth as if the bearing's have a flat spot's or egg shape.
They are ROUGH! That feeling is normal at least for every one I've had
here (TB3 and 4)
>  Is there
> a way to separate the thrust bearing so the bearing's could be
> replaced and the race observed ?
Yes.  On the inside bore of the bearing you will find a  set screw (bout
5/16"). This screw plugs a hole into the race way.  "Over a pan" take
the screw out and then rotate the inner race against the outside. You
may have to vary the position in which you hold the bearing. The balls
just run right out the hole as you rotate the races. The bearing then
comes apart, but only after the very last ball drops out.
> Adding a way to grease the bearing
> would be nice. I will not use the thrust bearing the way it is now,
> so I have nothing to lose

That's the way they normally feel.  The Yaesu bearing is much smoother
and looks nicer but will not handle nearly as much load. At one time
they said to run them dry, but I don't find any recent mention of that.
There was a thread on this topic last fall that was both pro and con for
greasing.

73

Roger (K8RI)