Re: [TowerTalk] BCB intermod

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] BCB intermod
From: jim Jarvis <jimjarvis@optonline.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 08:27:44 -0500
I wasn't closely following this thread, and the last post doesn't
have the
original poster's details...or this would be off-reflector.

Don't discount the possibility that the intermod is coming from the
antenna
system of one or more of the BC stations.   Particularly if they are
multi-tower
arrays.   It is possible for components in the ATU's to develop loose
connections
due to thermal cycling, producing a diode junction.    These tend not
to be
detected in normal maintenance work.

There was a recommendation for portable radio sleuthing, which I
strongly
endorse.   Leave your station in its normal operating
configuration... radio on.
Then, go out to the car, tune in the intermod, and start driving.
If it goes down
as you get away from your location... you may be the source.   If
not... keep
looking outside.    Go to each of the tx locations, and note the
strength of the
intermod,  while holding rx conditions as constant as possible.

While I haven't had to do this in over 30 years, I DID have to solve
the problem
once, for a BC station I worked at, while in college.

n2ea