Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor control

To: donovanf@starpower.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor control
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 06:46:11 -0800
donovanf@starpower.net wrote:
> Lee,
>
> There isn't anything especially difficult about controlling a rotator at a
> distance of 750 feet.  The only issue is maintaining the required voltage for
> the motor, and the brake if the rotator has one.  That distance presents no
> problem at all for indicator circuits.
>
> I currently have two M2 Orion rotators that are over 700 feet from their
> control boxes, and there is no problem at all.  This rotator requires only
> four wires: two for the motor and two for the indicator circuit.  I use #10
> wire for the motor.  Although I use #12 wire for the indicator, smaller wire
> would work well.
>
> The motor and brake voltage for the Ham4 and T2X rotators are more critical.
> Again, the indicator circuit is not a problem with these rotators. The
> following techniques will allow a Ham4 or T2X rotator at operate 750 feet
> from its control box:
>    1. Three #10 wires from the control box (the motor and brake wires,
> terminal strip wires 1,2 and 3)
>    2. Relocate the motor starting capacitor to a convenient much closer to
> the rotator.  Its not necessary to place it immediately next to the rotator.
>    3.  Mount a small transformer on the back of the control box and wire it
> into the control box to boost only the brake voltage.
>
> 73
> Frank
> W3LPL

2100 feet of AWG10 wire is going to be pretty pricey.  Seem to recall
something like $80/500 ft, so you're looking at over $200 just for the
wire. (although copper prices are always changing)..

I like the idea of just using a transformer to boost the voltage to
overcome the additional drop from more reasonably sized wires.  The
money you save on the thinner wire would cover the cost of the
boost/buck transformer.

(Unless there's a widely varying load and an overvoltage issue..)

Jim,W6RMK