[TowerTalk] A poll of Cubical Quad qwners

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] A poll of Cubical Quad qwners
From: Bill Ogden <ogden@us.ibm.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 13:41:46 -0500
I had the 5-band Cubex for several years.  It was an excellent receiving
antenna and a good transmitting antenna. I think it was the best receiving
antenna I have ever had, especially for very low-signal CW on 15-12-10
meters.   (It was also too much hassle to work with the three-dimensional
structure when I wanted to adjust something on the tower.  I eventually
went to a SteppIR instead.)

I used direct coax feed from each element to a switch mounted on the boom.
>From there a single coax to the ground, etc.  IMO there is absolutely no
need for a balun.  The dimensions supplied by Cubex (which should be
closely followed unless you really want to tune everything yourself)
provided an excellent match across all bands (except the upper end of 10M).

Bill
W2WO