[TowerTalk] Cold Galvanize Info Needed for Older tower Refurb

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Cold Galvanize Info Needed for Older tower Refurb
From: Dennis Vernacchia <n6ki73@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 21:15:55 -0800
I acquired an older ( 25 to 30 years old )  crank up and bottom section and
some areas of
other sections have a very slight patina of rust starting...The other
section's galvanize help up fine,,
so I guess the bottom section must have been hot dipped galvanize on a
Monday or Friday - Ha !

My research with friend who knows chemical processes have come up with LPS
Brand Cold Galvanize
in a spray can ( P/N 00516 ) and Liquid ( 00518 ) and all the specs seem
good.

So I don't re-invent the wheel in refurbishing the tower before erecting,
has anyone been down this road before
and tell me if the LPS brand is best - and what is best method of prepping
surface before applying.

I have been told to lightly sand with scotch brite but one person says then
to wipe down surface with a solvent
( what is best ) and other says no solvent needed after lightly sanding
surfaces with Scotch Brite )

OK you Ol tower sages...Pipe up amd let me know best method !

73, Dennis N6KI
Sandy Eggo

Tower will not see much rain out here in So Cal area but I am sure some
morning dew collects on surfaces
( Things don't rust very fast out here unless one is within 1 mile of the
ocean ! )