[TowerTalk] "Question of the Day" from the Antenna Farm

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] "Question of the Day" from the Antenna Farm
From: John King <k5pgw@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 14:35:05 -0800 (PST)
First, I want to express my sincere appreciation to all of you who have
discussed various antennas with me over the past week or so. I really do
appreciate all the discussion and consideration of my questions and the input
supplied by you.

Having been left with nothing but a GAP Titan vertical antenna by Hurricane
Gustav, my antenna farm is barren and non-productive.

With your suggestions and moral support, I have now decided which towers and
antennas will be on my "new antenna farm" and they are as follow:

1. 130 foot Rohn 25 guyed and grounded "naked" tower as folded unipole
   to be used on 160 meters  and MAYBE on 80 for low angle. Already
   erected and standing. It survived Katrina, Gustav and many other
   Hurricanes.
2. Full Wave Vertical Loop for 80 meter low angle broadside to Europe.
3. Two element rotatable Moxon for 40 meters on a separate Rohn tower.
4. Two element Five Band cubex Quad on WT 51  Crank up and Tilt over
   motorized tower.
5. Assorted dipole antennas for higher angle radiation on the lower
   bands for rag chewing on AM, SSB and CW.

I have all the hardware to begin construction and erection of the
aforementioned antenna systems. I do have one additional "question of the day"
and that is if you have had any experience in installing a tailtwister rotator
near ground level by running a mast from the top of a Rohn 25 tower about 70
feet tall so that the rotator might be changed or worked on from near ground
level? I know it has often been done, but I am not sure of the type mast,
thickness of the material to use and how much bellying of the mast might occur.
I have large thrust bearings that I can place near the top and strategically
down the tower to prevent sway and bellying of the long mast. That would also
take all weight off the rotator as well as as control the sway and bellying of
the mast.

You may see this as an ambitious project for a 70 year old, but I DESERVE IT
after over 50 years as a HAM. Your support and encouragement is greatly
appreciated. 73, John, K5PGW