Re: [TowerTalk] Relay lightening protection

To: Michael Tope <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Relay lightening protection
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 13:31:50 -0800
Michael Tope wrote:
> jimlux wrote:
>
>> Kipton Moravec wrote:

>>> Carrying current IS the whole issue. If they were not carrying current
>>> then it does not matter how fast the contacts close or open.
>>>
>>> The goal of the applications note was to minimize the contact arcing,
>>> which increases contact life or reliability. It is described in the
>>> second paragraph of the second column of the first page.
>>>
>>> http://relays.tycoelectronics.com/appnotes/app_pdfs/13c3311.pdf
>>>
>>> You do not have arcing if there is no current. So if there is no current
>>> then contact speed is not an issue.
>>>

>> I think they're talking about the "control contacts", while the life
>> issue is the "controlled relay".  i.e. the residual flux making the
>> relay sticky, etc.
>>

> Jim,
>
> Did you actually read the app. note? It very clearly indicates that the
> reliability issue is due to contact welding caused when high levels of
> DC current are interrupted in the normally open contacts. It also goes
> on to say:
>
> This is a great app. note, but my reading is that the particular
> circumstances for which it applies aren't those found in a RF phased
> array application.

Indeed.
  I'm looking for a copy of another relay life apnote that talks about
the contact life issue in lightly loaded situations (the RF array) where
they address the close/open speed (and whether DC current through the
contacts makes any difference).  I can't remember the details, but I
think it also depends on the contact plating material (and the design of
the contacts).

I might also be thinking of the reed relay situation, where residual
magnetism is of more concern, but I doubt anyone is using reed relays
for a phased array (although.. if they work for a QSK T/R switch, they
should also work for switching antennas).

Time to drag out all the references and update my rfrelay webpage.

I suppose the take home message is that for low rel, low duty cycle, we
can probably do whatever seems to work, but if you have a high rel, high
duty cycle application, it's probably worth talking to the relay
manufacturer about ALL the details.

jim