Re: [TowerTalk] Prop Pitch info wanted

To: towertalk@contesting.com, n9en@charter.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Prop Pitch info wanted
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 14:30:34 EST

In a message dated 2/7/2009 8:57:01 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,

>  I am getting ready to "retire" an overloaded  Tailtwister
rotator with a "small" prop pitch motor (9,576:1  reduction
ratio) and was wondering about a couple of details in
regards  to putting it in service.

>  I was thinking about putting a  light coating of low-temp
grease on the gear surfaces inside the gear  housing, as
I understand that it's not advisable to fill it with oil,  due
to the motor being mounted in a vertical position. Is that
an  advisable thing to do?

    Sure. The thing only runs at 3/4 RPM or so  intermittently so a lot of
guys run them without oil. And yes, oil will seep  thru the gasket. It's not an
issue when they're installed in their normal  horizontal orientation when
mounted on the airplane.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH