Re: [TowerTalk] 43 foot vertical feed

To: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 43 foot vertical feed
From: Ralph Matheny <mathenyr@marietta.edu>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2009 16:57:30 -0500 (EST)
Yeap, I use a folded unipole, and it doesn't have to be a "quarter wave"
to radiate well.

   The system I proposed isn't of my invention,
but comes from an old (and highly respected) antenna text, Laport's "Radio
Antenna Engineering", my copy dated 1952.  He proposes using the wires in
or on the ground, and also shows a neat "unbalanced" line built in what
looks to me like raingutter turned upside down.  He admits the losses are
higher than balanced line because of the return currents in the lossy
earth and that there will be radiation from the line. He also shows a
number of multi-wire configurations which are unbalanced and are obviously
just air-dielectric coax without complete metal jacket around the hot
center conductor.  These are open-wire lines by just about any defintion,
and are all unbalanced.

I wasn't especially advocating the system..that's why the "however"
followed.  I do think it would be less lossy than an equivalent length of
poorly matched RG213, and the losses from radiation, whatever they might
be, would perhaps be of some use in making contacts. I know that the power
burned up inside the 213 won't contribute to the desired goal!

73

Ralph Matheny
K8RYU
207 Gibbons Place