Re: [TowerTalk] tower resonances

To: "towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] tower resonances
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 10:20:55 -0800
On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 09:47:16 -0800, Rudy Severns wrote:

>My interest is driven by a recent practical problem.

Rudy,

I'm convinced that this is a VERY common problem with ground-mounted
verticals, but that few hams are aware that it is. My main TX
antenna on 160M is a T vertical. I've also used a vertical on 80M.
My TX antennas for other bands are all high dipoles, typical coax
lengths 130-150 ft.

When I first moved to this QTH and was just getting antennas up and
observing how well they worked, I noticed that the 80M vertical
"stopped working" when I added a couple of the high dipoles. I added
big ferrite chokes halfway down the feedlines of the high dipoles
and the 80M vertical started working again. I subsequently
constructed an NEC model of the vertical and those feedlines that
showed considerable pattern distortion of the 80M vertical without
the chokes, and the interaction going away when the chokes were
added.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC